History of National
"National Motor Vehicle Company" existed from 1900 to 1924 in Indianapolis, Indiana, releasing the first electric cars, then cars with internal combustion engines. As one of its presidents, Arthur Newby, also became one of the investors who invested in the construction of the circuit in this city.
In 1900, the firm has released a small electric car Style A. In 1903 this model was converted into work at 2-and 4-cylinder petrol engines from "Rutenber".
In 1903, was presented model Tonneau, which was electric installed capacity of 9 horsepower and 4-speed gearbox. Maximum speed was 24 km/H.
In 1905, National introduced the six-cylinder car with a round radiator, and production twin-cylinder machine was discontinued. In 1906, the company also turned to the issue of electric vehicles, by focusing exclusively on gasoline engines. With 1907 the company began to produce its own engines, reaching a high of success, which in 1912 allowed Joe Dawson to win behind the wheel of a car brand National 500-mile-in Indianapolis.
In 1922, "National", together with "Dixi Flyer" and "Jackson" created a joint company "Associated Motor Industries. In 1923 it was renamed the "National Motors Corporation", but a year later it ceased production.